Since 2003, St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church has provided youth and adult basketball for players at every level. Sportsmanship and faith are cornerstones of our program. St. Mary Magdalene has supported more than 30 youth and adult basketball teams, representing more than 300 players. The league offers the following age groups for boys, girls, men and women:
• K4-K5 Coed • 1st-2nd Grade Boys & Girls • 3rd-5th Grade Boys & Girls
• 6th-8th Grade Boys & Girls • 9th-12th Grade Boys & Girls • Men & Women (Women Div. New for 2022-23!)
St. Mary Magdalene is participating in the Greer Christian Basketball Association in 2022-23.
1) The age of your child is based on their grade. Adult placement is based on age on Sept. 1, 2022. 2) Once an age group is full, players are placed on a waiting list until a new team is formed or space on an existing team becomes available. 3) While St. Mary Magdalene advertises all age groups that are available by the league, in order to form a team, the team must meet a minimum roster requirement of eight players and have a Safe Environment-certified coach. 4) Players who play school basketball are not eligible to play in this league. If a player is in tryouts for a school team, he/she may practice with St. Mary Magdalene until a decision is reached. Please inform your coach if your child is trying out for school basketball. If you've paid the registration fee, we will return your money if your child makes his/her school team. 5) There is no guarantee that your child will be placed on a particular team or practice time. 6) Non-parishioners are welcome to play for St. Mary Magdalene, but may be required to be actively involved in St. Mary Magdalene and it's programs, including fundraisers. All participants in our basketball program are encouraged to participate in functions of the church. Non-parishioners that belong to another church should not have a basketball program, or if they do, they are advised to get permission from their church. 7) Applications will not be fully processed without receipt of correct payment and the completion of all forms (Registration Form, Parental/Guardian Consent Form and Liability Waiver), which can be found on online registration.
1) Practices may begin as early as the second week in October. 2) St. Mary Magdalene ensures each team has one half-court, one-hour practice per week. 3) Most practices are scheduled at St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. However, you may have practices at another facility based on availability and the limitations of our gym. 4) Youth practices may be scheduled as early as 6 p.m. and as late as 8:30 p.m., with earlier times reserved for younger age groups. Men's practices will begin at 8:30 p.m. or later, unless earlier times become available. Some high school teams may also be schedule as late as 8:30 p.m. 5) Times, days and locations are subject to change. 6) Coaches may opt to practice more if he/she can secure additional gym time on their own outside of St. Mary Magdalene's gym. 7) St. Mary Magdalene can not honor all practice requests. However, St. Mary Magdalene will ensure that your child's practice time will not directly conflict with his/her religious education (Christian Formation) at the church.
1) All teams play 7-8 regular season games, beginning around the fourth week of November and ending around the third week of February. 2) All youth teams (K4-Grade 8) play on Saturday mornings and afternoons. 3) High School Boys and Girls (Grade 9-12) play Monday evenings. 4) Men and Women play Monday nights. 5) All games are primarily played in Greenville County. See Directions to Gyms for a list of locations.
1) K5-2nd grades do not have playoffs. 2) All 3rd-5th, 6th-8th and 9th-12th grade divisions (boys and girls) have single elimination format with games taking place throughout one or two weeks. Most younger age group games are held on Saturday. 3) There are no playoff games for men or women.
1) St. Mary Magdalene supplies each player with a jersey that is to be returned at the end of the season. 2) Players supply their own shorts (black). 3) For player that choose to wear an undershirt, it must be solid white, according to league rules. 4) The use of arm sleeves are permitted for medical purposes only, according to league rules. 5) Failure to return a particpant's jersey to the church by April 1, 2023 will result in a $40 replacement fee.
1) An awards banquet is typically held the last Saturday of February or the first Saturday of March in the Parish Center for all age groups K4-8th grade. 2) A nominal fee (typically $10 per player) may be charged for the cost of the banquet.
1) Without a coach, there is no team. Please consider volunteering as a head or assistant coach. 2) All coaches are required by the Diocese of Charleston to participate in Safe Environment training. To register, please go to https://charleston.cmgconnect.org. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org. 3) All coaches are required by the Diocese of Charleston to complete a Background Screening.
1) Youth Parishioners, $75; Men & Women, $80; Non-parishioners, $80 (all ages). 2) A $5 discount may be applied to each additional sibling's registration fee (parishioners only). 3) No refunds after November 13, 2022.