Since 2003, St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church has participated in the Greenville District United Methodist Basketball League. In 2017-18, St. Mary Magdalene supported 26 youth and four adult basketball teams, representing more than 300 players. The league offers the following age groups for boys, girls and men:
• Juniors (11-13) • Seniors (14-18) • Men Under 35 • Men Over 35
Eligibility & Placement
1) The age of your child/adult for placement is based on his/her age on Sept. 1, 2018. 2) Once an age group is full, players are placed on a waiting list until a new team is formed or space on an existing team becomes available. 3) While St. Mary Magdalene advertises all age groups that are available by the league, in order to form a team, the team must meet a minimum roster requirement of eight players and have a Safe Environment-certified coach. 4) Players who play school basketball are not eligible to play in this league. If a player is in tryouts for a school team, he/she may practice with St. Mary Magdalene until a decision is reached. Please inform your coach if your child is trying out for school basketball. If you've paid the registration fee, we will return your money if your child makes his/her school team. 5) There is no guarantee that your child will be placed on a particular team or practice time. 6) Non-parishioners that belong to another church must not have a basketball program. They must also fill out a Pastor's Appeal Form that is approved by his/her own pastor. Non-parishioners who do not belong to a church must also complete this form and explicitly state their faith development intentions. All non-parishioners may also be required to be actively involved in St. Mary Magdalene and it's programs, including fundraisers. 7) Applications will not be fully processed without receipt of correct payment and the completion of all forms (Registration Form, Parental/Guardian Consent Form and Liability Waiver), which can be found on online registration.
1) Practices may begin as early as the third week in October. 2) St. Mary Magdalene ensures each team has one half-court, one-hour practice per week. 3) Practices will be scheduled at two facilities: Eastside Presbyterian Church and Shannon Forest Christian School on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. 4) Youth practices will be held at either 6:30 p.m. or 7:30 p.m., with the exception of Thursday evenings at 6 p.m., 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. Men's practices will begin at 8:30 p.m. on Mondays or Wednesday, unless earlier times become available. Some senior teams may also be schedule as late as 8:30 p.m. 5) Times, days and locations are subject to change. 6) Coaches may opt to practice more if he/she can secure additional gym time on their own. 7) St. Mary Magdalene can not honor all practice requests. However, St. Mary Magdalene will ensure that your child's practice time will not directly conflict with his/her religious education (Christian Formation) at the church.
1) All teams play 7-8 regular season games, beginning the fourth week of November and ending the second week of February. 2) Instructional Mites, Mites, Midgets and Juniors play on Saturday mornings and afternoons. 3) Seniors play Thursday evenings. 4) Adults play Friday nights. 5) All games are played in Greenville County.
1) Instructional Mites and Mites do not have playoffs. 2) Midgets, Juniors and Seniors participate in playoffs in early February. Although subject to change, group play on a Saturday is standard for Midgets. All other age groups play in a single elimination format with games taking place throughout one or two weeks. 3) Adult playoffs consist of full-length games in a single elimination format over a two-week span.
1) St. Mary Magdalene supplies each player with a jersey that is to be returned at the end of the season. 2) Players supply their own shorts (black). 3) For player that choose to wear an undershirt, it must be solid white, according to league rules. 4) The use of arm sleeves are permitted for medical purposes only, according to league rules. 5) Failure to return a particpant's jersey to the church by April 1, 2019 will result in a $30 replacement fee.
1) An awards banquet is typically held the last Saturday of February or the first Saturday of March in the Parish Center. 2) A nominal fee (typically $10 per player) may be charged for the cost of the banquet.
1) Without a coach, there is no team. Please consider volunteering as a head or assistant coach. 2) All coaches are required by the Diocese of Charleston to participate in Safe Environment training. To register, please go to https://charleston.cmgconnect.org. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org. 3) All coaches are required by the Diocese of Charleston to complete a Background Screening.
1) Youth Parishioners, $65; Men, $70; Non-parishioners, $70 (all ages). 2) A $5 discount may be applied to each additional sibling's registration fee (parishioners only). 3) No refunds after November 13, 2018.